Learner's Permit Questions?  Call 307-777-4800 Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, closed holidays.

Types of Licensing Permits

Wyoming State Statute (W.S. 31-7-110) describes the types of licensing permits that are available and what restrictions are required for each permit.

Restricted Learner's Permit & Driver License

A Restricted Learner's Permit (ages 14-15 years) is also known as a "hardship permit".  Minors who meet one or more of the following criteria may be eligible for the permit:
  • Minor's residence is more than 5 miles from the school they attend;
  • Minor has a regular job (a minimum of 10 hours per week) more than 5 miles from the minor’s residence;
  • Minor must have a license to work in his/her parents’ business;
  • Any other circumstances which the Wyoming Highway Patrol finds to be an extreme inconvenience.

Applying for a Restricted Learner's Permit

Complete the Application for a Restricted Driver License or Permit Packet located on the Forms Page and mail all required forms to:
Wyoming Highway Patrol
Restricted License Investigations
5300 Bishop Blvd.
Cheyenne, WY  82009-3340.
You will be notified by mail regarding approval and it may take up to 6 weeks to receive notification of approval or denial.  If your child is approved for the restricted learner's permit, the required documents must be presented at the local driver exam office for the issuance of the permit. The minor will be required to pass the written exam and vision screening at the time of application for the learner's permit and the application must be signed by a parent/guardian.
These special permits are issued for a period of 60 days; however, the minor is required to hold the permit for a minimum period of 10 days before applying for a full restricted driver's license. A licensed adult, age 18 years or older, must accompany the minor driving with a restricted permit.
The permit and driving privilege will be suspended:
  • Upon conviction of a moving violation;
  • For driving outside the approved hours of 5 a.m. through 8 p.m.;
  • For driving beyond the 50-mile radius of domicile; and/or
  • Upon conviction of violating the restrictions of the license
Once the minor has held the restricted permit for a minimum of 10 days, they may apply for a full "RC" license which restricts them to driving only within the hours of 5 a.m. to 8 p.m., and only within a 50-mile radius of their domicile; as well as any other restrictions deemed appropriate by the approval authority at Wyoming Highway Patrol.
Should you have question regarding the application status or for verification requirements for extreme inconvenience please contact the Wyoming Highway Patrol at 307-777-4314 or 307-777-4880.

Regular Learner's Permit

A regular learner's permit is generally issued to a minor, 15 - 16 years of age, who is learning how to drive. The minor may need the permit to apply for a driver education course. It may also be issued to an adult who needs to improve their driving habits or needs time to practice driving.
The permit restricts the driver to operating a motor vehicle only when another person, at least 18 years old, occupies the front passenger seat. The person sitting beside the driver must hold a valid driver license.

Applying for a learner's permit

You must appear in person at your local driver exam office to be photographed.  You will be required to pass the written exam and vision screening at the time of application for the learner's permit.  In addition, you will be required to present the appropriate documents.  For minors under the age of 18, the parent or legal guardian must sign the application.
A learner's permit is valid for one year, and may be renewed as many times as necessary. However, it must be held for at least 10 days before you may apply for full driving privileges.

Graduated Driver License

A graduated driver license is referred to in Wyoming law as an "intermediate permit."
If you are under the age of 17 years, and have not completed a driver education course, you are not eligible for full driving privileges. 

Applying for an Intermediate Permit

You must appear in person at your local driver exam office to be photographed, surrender your current Wyoming or out-of-state driver permit, present the appropriate Real ID documents, and, proof that you have completed the requirement of 50 hours of behind-the-wheel driving time.  You are required to pass a driving skills test, a vision screening, and the application must be signed by a parent/guardian. The intermediate permit must be held for a minimum period of six months or until you turn 17 years of age. If you have held an intermediate permit for six months, and have completed an approved driver education course, then you may apply for full driving privileges at the minimum age of 16 1/2 yrs.  

Requirements to be eligible for an intermediate permit are

  • You are at least 16 years old;
  • You have held a learner's permit for at least 10 days; and
  • You have completed 50 actual driving hours behind the wheel of a vehicle, including 10 hours of night driving.  The certification form and optional log are available on the Forms page.

Restrictions to driving associated with the intermediate permit

  • You are not allowed to drive with more than one passenger under the age of 18 years who is not a member of your immediate family;
  • You and all your passengers must wear seat belts;
  • You can only legally drive between the hours of 5 a.m. and 11 p.m.
Occasionally there are exceptions to the "rules" and for each of the following situations you must complete the exception form located on the Forms page and carry it with you in your vehicle:
  • You must drive for a medical necessity - a medical doctor must sign the exception form;
  • You must drive to or from work beyond the hours allowed - your employer must sign the exception form; or 
  • You must drive to or from school, a school activity, an organized youth sports activity or a religious activity, beyond the hours allowed - your parent or legal guardian must sign the exception form.
Exception forms are used on a limited basis and are not global. For example, you are on a sports team and some of the games are out of town. You need to be able to drive home after 11 p.m. You will need an exception form for each individual out-of-town game. 
Note: Should you find yourself in a medical emergency situation where you have no choice other than to drive to the hospital, you do not need the exception form. 
The driving restrictions associated with an intermediate permit do not apply if the passenger sitting next to you in the front seat is 18 years of age or older and holds a valid driver license with full driving privileges.