Accident Procedures Questions?  Call 307-777-4834 Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, closed holidays.

What do I do if I am involved in a crash?

Insurance on all drivers is verified online.  If we are unable to verify your insurance online, you will be contacted via United State Postal Service mail requesting additional information.

I received a "Notice of an Uninsured Accident Suspension". What do I do now?

If your insurance was NOT in effect, or you were not insured at the time of the accident, you may do one of the following to prevent or end the suspension of your driving privilege:

  • Submit a notarized release from the other party(s) involved in the accident stating they are not holding you liable for their damages and/or injuries, or that you have made restitution to them;
  • Submit a conditional release signed by you and the other party(s) and notarized stating an agreement has been made for you to make payments for their damages and/or injuries;
  • Submit security in the form of a certified check (no personal checks), a surety bond, or a certificate of deposit, duly assigned  to the Department in the total amount listed in the "Notice of Uninsured Accident Suspension" letter. One year from the date of the accident, you will be entitled to a refund of your cash deposit provided there are no judgments against you.
If the suspension of your driving privilege becomes effective, in addition to one of the above options, you will be required to submit proof of financial responsibility (an SR-22 insurance certificate) and pay a $50 reinstatement fee. The SR-22 will be required for a period of 3 years from the start date of the suspension. Failure to maintain proof of insurance for the 3-year period will result in the re-suspension of your driving privilege.  
If you were unable to prevent suspension of your driving privilege by complying with one of the three actions above, one year from the date of the accident you may submit a signed and notarized affidavit stating that there are no judgments against you. This action will end the suspension; however, you will still owe a reinstatement fee ($50) and must maintain proof of insurance (SR-22 form) on file for a period of 3 years. 

How do I avoid an uninsured accident suspension?

By following a few simple steps:

  • Always keep your automobile insured according to Wyoming State Laws.
  • When driving another person's vehicle, it is your responsibility to make sure that the vehicle is insured and you are covered as a driver of said vehicle.
Always keep your address on your driving record up to date.  Wyoming State Statute (W.S.31-7-137) requires that the Wyoming Department of Transportation be notified within 10 days of any address change. If your mailing address is incorrect, you may not receive important notices regarding your driving privilege.
NOTE: Wyoming Department of Transportation mail does not forward.